Marketing is an ever-evolving field, with new trends and technologies emerging daily. To keep up with the competition, businesses must stay abreast of these changes and find ways to make their marketing efforts more effective.
But how do you know what works best for your business? The answer lies in understanding the latest general business marketing statistics. By looking at the numbers, you can gain insight into where your company stands compared to your competitors and use that knowledge to inform your decisions moving forward.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some interesting general business marketing statistics that may surprise you – from email open rates to social media engagement levels – so you can better understand what’s working for other companies and plan accordingly.
Search Engine Marketing Statistics
- Around 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine.
- 90% of searches result in no action, meaning only 10% lead to website visits.
- Google holds nearly 90% of the global desktop search traffic market share.
- 50% of search queries are four words or longer.
- 71% of B2B researchers start their research with a generic search query, not branded terms.
- 81 percent of digital marketers said improving Search Engine Optimization and organic presence was one of their top inbound marketing priorities for 2020.
- 70–80% of users ignore the paid ads and focus on organic results when they’re searching Google, according to HubSpot Research’s 2017 State Of Inbound Report.
Content Marketing Statistics
- 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing to reach customers, making it the most popular marketing tactic.
- Almost three-quarters (74%) of B2B marketers report that their own content marketing strategy effectively drives brand awareness and generates leads.
- On average, B2B marketers allocate 29% of their marketing budget to content marketing.
- The most popular types of content used by B2B marketers are email newsletters, blogs, and social media posts.
- Video has become an increasingly popular form of content, with 81% of businesses now using video as a marketing tool. Of these, 99% plan to continue using video marketers in the future.
- In terms of social media, LinkedIn is the most effective platform for B2B marketing, with 97% of B2B marketers reporting that they use the platform for marketing purposes.
- Personalization is becoming increasingly important in content marketing, with 90% of marketers saying that it’s a significant factor in the success of their campaigns.
- To measure the success of their content marketing efforts, businesses typically track metrics like website traffic, engagement rates, and lead generation.
Social Media Statistics
- According to Hootsuite’s 2021 Social Media Trends report, the average person now spends 2 hours and 24 minutes daily on social media, which equates to approximately one-third of their waking hours.
- Facebook remains the dominant social media platform, with over 2.8 billion monthly active users, followed by YouTube with 2 billion and WhatsApp with 2 billion.
- Instagram is particularly popular among younger consumers, with 71% of users under 35. It’s also a highly effective platform for influencer marketing, with 89% of marketers citing it as the most critical platform for influencer partnerships.
- Twitter is a valuable tool for customer service, with 80% of customers expecting companies to respond to their tweets within 24 hours. Additionally, 80% of customer service requests on social media happen on Twitter.
- LinkedIn is the go-to social network for B2B marketers, with 97% of B2B marketers using the platform for organic content marketing. LinkedIn generates the highest visitor-to-lead conversion rate for paid advertising at 2.74%, compared to Facebook (0.77%) and Twitter (0.69%).
- Video continues to gain popularity on social media, with 54% of consumers saying they want to see more video content from brands. Additionally, 93% of brands got a new customer because of a video on social media.
- Social media advertising spending is rising, with global ad spending expected to reach $110 billion in 2021, up from $90 billion in 2019.
- Brands also leverage social media for customer retention, with 63% of businesses using social networks to keep current customers engaged.
Video Marketing Statistics
- 81% of businesses now use video as a social media marketing tool.
- One study found that viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to just 10% when reading it in text. (Leading video marketing usage statistics)
- YouTube is the clear leader in video social media platforms, with over 2 billion monthly active users.
- Facebook Live videos generate 10 times more comments than regular videos, while users watch live videos three times longer than recorded videos.
- 63% of consumers say they are more likely to buy a product after watching a personalized video about it.
- Adding a video to a landing page can increase conversion rates by up to 80%.
- Businesses that use video in their email marketing campaigns see a 200-300% increase in click-through rates.
- One study found that video content generates 1200% more shares on social media than text and images combined, indicating the potential for viral reach and brand awareness.
Email Marketing Statistics
- Email marketing has an average return on investment (ROI) of 122%, four times higher than other marketing channels like social media, direct mail, and paid search.
- 76% of marketers say that email is the most effective form of communication for customer acquisition.
- 91% of consumers use their email address at least monthly, and 59% check it daily or more often.
- 66% of consumers have purchased because they received an email from a business they trust in the last 12 months.
- Personalized emails deliver 6x higher transaction rates, but 70% of brands must use them correctly or effectively to generate leads or conversions.
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened compared to emails without personalization in their subject line. In comparison, dynamic content can increase click-through rates by up to 73%.
- Email segmentation is also one-way businesses can ensure relevancy and reach better engagement levels – segmented emails have a 14%-76 % higher open rate than non-segmented ones!
- 59 % of people reported unsubscribing from a brand’s list due to irrelevant messaging.
Lead Generation Statistics
- 79% of marketers report that their top challenge is generating traffic and leads.
- 84% of B2B marketers use content marketing to generate leads, and 66 % of B2C businesses do the same.
- 72% of buyers turn to Google during the consideration phase, while 50 percent look for information on company websites, 27 percent search social media sites, 22 percent read blog articles, and 18 percent watch videos related to buying decisions.
- 70-80% of web visitors abandon a website before purchasing or converting it into a lead due to lousy navigation, design, or content choices.
- Companies with 40+ landing pages get 12 times more leads than those with 5 or fewer.
- 71% of people who fill out contact forms will likely become qualified sales leads for your business.
- 60-70 % of online searches end without engaging in any action such as calling you up, signing up for anything
- Lead generation emails have a 29%-41 % higher open rate compared to standard emails
- Digital advertising spending is expected to surpass traditional advertising spending in 2021, with an estimated $389 billion spent on digital ads worldwide.
- Facebook is the largest social media advertising platform, with over 2.8 billion monthly active users.
- Google Ads remains one of the most popular forms of online advertising, with over 246 million unique visitors to its search engine every month.
- Video advertising is becoming increasingly popular, with over 85% of internet users in the US watching YouTube videos online.
- Mobile advertising is also on the rise, with over 5 billion people owning mobile devices worldwide.
- Studies show that retargeted ads have a click-through rate 10 times higher than regular display ads, making them a valuable tool for driving conversions.
- This approach can efficiently reach younger audiences, with 70% of teens as a target audience saying they trust influencers more than traditional celebrities or traditional marketing.
Conversion Rate Optimization Statistics
- According to Google, a one-second delay in page load time can decrease conversions by 7%.
- Companies that use A/B testing can see conversion rate increases ranging from 10% to 300%.
- Companies that use personalization can see conversion rate increases of up to 19%.
- Companies that use social proof can see conversion rate increases of up to 40%.
- Companies that use chatbots can see conversion rate increases of up to 30%.
- Trust badges, such as security icons or customer reviews, can also help increase conversions by building trust and credibility with visitors. Companies that use trust badges can see conversion rate increases of up to 72%.
- The average website conversion rate is 2.35%, according to a study by Wordstream. However, the top 25% of companies have conversion rates of 5.31% or higher.
Affiliate Marketing Statistics
- In 2020, spending on affiliate marketing in the US alone was projected to reach $6.8 billion, according to a study by Statista. This indicates the growing importance of affiliate marketing in the digital marketing landscape.
- According to a report by Business Insider, Affiliate marketing is poised for growth, with the global affiliate market size expected to reach $8.2 billion by 2022. This represents a compound annual growth rate of 10%.
- Affiliate marketing is an effective way to drive sales, with affiliates producing up to 30% of sales for advertisers, according to a study by Forrester. This means businesses can see a significant return on investment from their affiliate marketing efforts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Did you know interesting facts about marketing?
Yes, there are many interesting facts about marketing. For example, B2B businesses reported an average of 7% year-over-year growth in 2020, and the average cost to acquire a customer for a business was $92 in 2019.
What is the most exciting fact about marketing?
The most exciting fact about marketing is that it can save on advertising and content marketing costs and focus on driving sales by using affiliate marketing. This is because businesses only pay commissions to affiliates when a sale is made, meaning they don’t have to incur extra costs for ads or other forms of promotion.
Did you know marketing facts 2023?
Many exciting marketing facts are available today that can help businesses gain insights into the current landscape and prepare for future changes.
In conclusion, the marketing world constantly evolves, and staying on top of the latest trends and best practices is crucial for businesses to compete and succeed. The statistics above shed light on some key insights into the current landscape and what we can expect in the future.